The athletic field with main entrance at 38th and
R Streets was formerly the home field for Western High School. It currently is
assigned to Western's successor, Duke Ellington School of the Arts. The field
was deeded from Burleith developer Shannon & Luchs to the DC government in
1928 with the condition that no structure be used for the sale of liquor or
for the parking of automobiles or horses.