||Burleith Movie/Theatre Group
- The Burleith Movie/Theatre Group is a Burleith Special Interest Group (B-SIG) consisting
of Burleith Citizens Association (BCA) members interested in social and cultural
activities related to movies, theatre and other performing arts. The group's purpose is to facilitate communications and
the planning of activities with interested Burleith neighbors. Activities may include
getting together to go to a movie or other production, gathering at someone's home to view
a production on TV or DVD, discussing a movie/other performance after viewing it, etc. If you are a BCA member interested
in viewing and discussing movies and other artistic performances with neighbors, this group is for you.
- The next meeting will take place on Sunday, May 12, 2013. The film is TBD.
- After viewing each film, we use this list of questions
to "prime the pump" for discussions.
- The Burleith Movie/Theatre Group welcomes new members
- There are currently 19 members of this group
- Past Meetings
- The 10th meeting of the Burleith Movie/Theatre Group took place on Sunday, April 14, 2013. Three members of
the group went to the AMC Loews Georgetown to see the movie "42" (about Jackie Robinson breaking into all white major league
baseball). All who attended (all 3 of us!) thought "42" was an excellent movie. We highly recommend that you see it.
- The 9th meeting of the Burleith Movie/Theatre Group took place on Sunday, March 10, 2013. Five members of
the group met at the dwelling of one of its members to watch the 2004 movie The Merchant of Venice. This movie stars
Al Pacino, Joseph Fiennes, Lynn Collins, and Jeremy Irons
- The 8th meeting of the Burleith Movie/Theatre Group took place on Sunday, February 3, 2013. Six members of
the group went to the Georgetown AMC theaters to see Silver Linings Playbook. After the movie, we met at Linda and
Ross' home to discuss the movie.
- The 7th meeting of the Burleith Movie/Theatre Group took place on Sunday, January 13, 2012.
Six members of the group met at the Landmark Bethesda Row movie theatre to watch the 4:20 pm showing of
Anna Karenina. After the movie we met at the restaurant Jaleo to discuss the movie.
- The 6th meeting of the Burleith Movie/Theatre Group took place on Sunday, November 11, 2012.
Six members of the group met at the Landmark Bethesda Row movie theatre at 4:00 pm to watch the 4:30 showing of Lincoln, the
new Steven Spielberg movie about you know who. After the movie they enjoyed dinner at Mon Ami Gabi while they discussed
- The 5th meeting of the Burleith Movie/Theatre Group took place on Sunday, October 4, 2012. Four members of the group watched the movie
Departures. This is a Japanese movie made in 2008. It won the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film at the 81st Oscars in 2009. After
viewing the film, we walked to the Epicurean and Company restaurant on the Georgetown University campus. We each ordered from the daily buffet and then
sat at one of the tables and discussed the movie using the standard list of questions. Everyone enjoyed the
movie, and, although as in almost all movies there were bits that stretched credulity, it did open the door on a little known part of Japanese culture.
- The 4th meeting of the Burleith Movie/Theatre Group was held at the home of Linda Brooks and Ross Schipper on Sunday, June 10, 2012.
We began with a pot luck dinner during which we discussed the movie The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel. We worked from a
list of questions which could be asked about any movie. The result was a lively discussion which lasted
throughout the dinner. Because only two of the attendees had watched The Kid with a Bike, we decided not to discuss that movie. Afterwards,
we watched (via NetFlix) the movie Mao's Last Dancer, a 2009 Australian biographical film, directed by Bruce Beresford, and based on ballet dancer
Li Cunxin's autobiography, also titled Mao's Last Dancer. Everyone enjoyed this film.
- The 3rd meeting took place on May 13, 2012. We met at the
home of Pat Scolero. We had dinner and discussed the two movies we had seen: A Separation and Chico and Rita.
Only two had seen Chico and Rita, but we had a lively discussion of A Separation. After dinner we watched a DVD of
Vacation from Marriage, a 1945 file starring Deborah Kerr and Robert Donat.
- The 2nd meeting took place on April 12, 2012. We met at the
home of Pat Davies. We had dinner and discussed the three films we had seen: Hugo, Salmon Fishing in the Yemen,
and Comedy of Errors. After dinner we watched a DVD of Midnight in Paris.
- The Kickoff Meeting of the Burleith Movie/Theatre Group was held on March 18, 2012 at the home of Kay Twomey.
- Originally called the Burleith Movie Group, the members of this group decided to expand the group to
include theatre and other performing arts as well.
- To Join
- Send and email with name, address, email address and phone to
BCA Membership and you will receive
an invitation to join the Burleith Movie Yahoo group. Joining this Yahoo group allows you
to receive and send information regarding the activities of the Performing Arts Group.
- For More Information, Contact the Group Organizer